Stainless steel is one of the most popularly used metals today. Due to its physical properties, including strong corrosion resistance, hardness, etc., this metal scores over many other metals. Various types of industrial, commercial, and residential products are made using this Stainless Steel. Stainless Steel pipes are one of the most common items manufactured out of this metal. Some accessories that support these pipes are also made from stainless steel.
One such accessory used for supporting stainless steel pipes is called stainless steel flanges. These flanges come in a wide number of types or forms. This blog particularly addresses the eight significant types of flanges that you should be aware of.
What are the various types of Stainless Steel Flanges?
There is a total of eight different types of Stainless Steel Flanges used in the stainless steel pipelines that you should be aware of, such as:
- Slip-On Flanges: The Slip-On flanges are the most reasonable varieties of flanges available for purchase. The diameter of the slip-on flanges is slightly wider than the pipe, making it easier to slip them over the pipe. These stainless steel flanges are welded to a position by a fillet and are suitable for applications with low pressure.
- Lap Joint Flanges: They are used for special applications and are conveniently used assembled without welding. Threaded flanges in stainless steel are compatible with pipes with external threads. For applications where bending pressures, high pressure, or high temperatures are involved, the flanges are not suggested.
- Weld Neck Flanges: The weld neck flanges are recognized by their protruding necks. These flanges have the same level and thickness as the pipe. This flange is considered for severe service conditions such as sub-zero or high temperatures and high pressure.
- Blind Flanges: These flanges are constructed without a bore and are applicable to seal openings of systems of piping or vessels. For piping systems or vessels that need a frequent inspection, these flanges are perfect. It is possible to supply the blind flanges with or without hubs. High stress caused by internal pressure can be easily controlled by this flange.
- Threaded Flanges: For special uses, these kinds of flanges are used and can be conveniently assembled without welding. Threaded flanges in stainless steel are compatible with pipes with external threads. For applications where bending pressures, high pressure, or high temperatures are involved, the flanges are not suggested.
- Orifice Flanges: These flanges are used for the purpose of providing access to a line for measuring liquids or gases. The Orifice flanges are installed with orifice plates or flow nozzles.
- Socket Weld Flanges: The flanges are meant for small-diameter and high-pressure piping applications. The socket weld flanges have internal welds that contribute both to their longevity and to the strength of fatigue. In the chemical-processing industry, these flanges are used.
- Ring–Type Joint Flanges: These flanges are used for high temperature and pressure applications. The flanges help prevent leakage in pipelines where high pressure and high-temperature media is transported.
This was all about the types of flanges. The choice of the right flanges will depend on the type of application or requirement.